The Society for Pennsylvania Archaeology, Inc. was organized in 1929 to:
- Promote the study of the prehistoric and historic archaeological resources of Pennsylvania and neighboring states.
- Encourage scientific research and discourage exploration which is unscientific or irresponsible in intent or practice.
- Promote the conservation of archaeological sites, artifacts, and information.
- Encourage the establishment and maintenance of sources of archaeological information such as museums, societies, and educational programs.
- Promote the dissemination of archaeological knowledge by means of publications and forums.
- Foster the exchange of information between the professional and the avocational archaeologists.